How many of you enjoy eating ? I bet the answer will be 100% yes.Now how many actually enjoy the meal which you eat ? Confused ?? Ever heard “Mindful Eating”?
First of all let us understand what is mindfulness.
It’s paying attention,being fully aware of what is happening both inside and outside yourself. Similarly mindful eating is enjoying your meal with full satisfaction. It involves paying full attention to the smell, colour, texture, flavour and even the crunch of the food. While eating your favourite food(pizza,pasta,biryani,parathas,etc) what we actually feel is the taste nothing else.
Well most of the time when there is our favourite food right in front of our eyes we tend to hog over it as if we will not get that food afterwards in life, so we eat our favourite food very fast without even enjoying it. Excuse me !! we are not lost in an island where there is no food availabilty, so hold that thought and focus on eating slowly.
How to start practicing mindful eating ?
- Ask yourself why you’re eating. Are you actually hungry?
- Eat more slowly and don’t eat your meals faster.
- Chew thoroughly (atleast 20 times).
- Turn down distractions by turning off the TV and putting down your phone.
- Eat in silence.
- Focus on how the food makes you feel.
- Stop eating when you feel full.
Why mindful eating is necessary? Let’s take an example.
For instance :
You are having your favourite chocolate ice-cream.
- You have it’s first bite it feels delicious and creamy.
- Now imagine you get a message from your friend.
- You got busy in chatting with your friend.
- After 5 minutes you will realise,where did my ice cream go.
- Well you actually ate it while you were busy with your friend.
- Now what? You did not enjoy your ice cream to the fullest yet you crave for another one.
It’s like playing your favourite song all over again just because you missed your favourite line due to some random distraction. Can you relate ?
But why the heck I am talking about mindful eating ? Why it is so important?
Well it helps us to learn to understand what our body is telling us about hunger and satisfaction. It will also help you to become aware of who amongst body,heart and mind is actually hungry.
Mindful eating is natural,interesting and lot of fun. Mindful eating will not only give you satisfaction about your favourite food but also it will reduce your guilt of having it. When you start practicing mindful eating you will realise that you are not only enjoying this but also the people who are looking for weight loss will start to loose weight slowly. How? Because you are not over eating but also teaching yourself how to be 80% full on your stomach.
Mindful eating may be very helpful with weight loss, changing eating behaviors and reducing the stress associated with eating.
Mindful eating is a powerful tool to regain control of your eating.
If you have failed with conventional “diets” in the past, then this is definitely something you should try.
Try it out
- Grab a bowl of homemade gajar halwa.
- Take a bite of it.
- Slowly try to eat it.
- Feel the taste and try to guess the ingredients.
You will notice after having few spoons of that delicious halwa you are so satisfied and full that you won’t over eat it.
Was that amazing? Practice this for once and observe your body’s reaction for the next time.