Mumbai: Actor Rhea Chakraborty on Monday filed a fresh petition in the Supreme Court over alleged “unfair media trial” in the case of Sushant Singh Rajput’s death.
Rhea, in her latest petition before the Supreme Court, said the issue has been left out of proportion in the media and alleged that news channels are investigating and cross-examining all the witnesses in the case.
“The petitioner (Rhea Chakraborty) is already convicted by the media even before a foul-play in the death of Sushant Singh Rajput is established. The persistent sensationalism of the case causes extreme trauma and violation of the rights of the petitioner.”
It added that the media had similarly “convicted” the accused in the 2G and Aarushi Talwar case and that each accused was later found innocent by the courts.
“Investigations into the thousands of crores of financial scandals by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) and the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) are never seen in broad daylight, and a drop of a hat, cases get registered even without there being a jurisdiction in the foundational case,” said the plea, targeting the investigation into the death case by two investigating agencies.
The Central Government had earlier accepted the recommendation of the Bihar government for investigation by the CBI in the case.
The CBI last week filed an FIR against Rhea Chakraborty, Indrajit Chakraborty, Sandhya Chakraborty, Showik Chakraborty, Samuel Miranda, Shruti Modi and others in the case. The ED has also registered a case in the case.
The Supreme Court is set to hear Rhea Chakraborty’s earlier plea on Tuesday seeking transfer of investigation against him in the death of Sushant Singh Rajput from Patna to Mumbai.
Rajput was found dead in his Bandra apartment in Mumbai on 14 June.