Mumbai: India on Friday rejected China’s statement blaming Indian forces for the Galwan Valley clash in Ladakh and said China’s “provocative behavior and unilateral attempts” to alter the status quo disturbed the peace.
The MEA said that China’s aggressive behavior and unilateral attempts to change the status quo in eastern Ladakh disturbed the peace between the two countries. The government said the Chinese action in eastern Ladakh affected bilateral relations between India and China.
“We reject such statements. Our position with regard to developments last year along the LAC in Eastern Ladakh has been clear and consistent. It was the provocative behavior and unilateral attempts of the Chinese side to alter status quo in contravention of all our bilateral agreements that resulted in serious disturbance of peace and tranquility,” the MEA said.
“This has also impacted the bilateral relations. As emphasized by EAM in his meeting with Chinese FM earlier this month, we expect that the Chinese side will work towards early resolution of the remaining issues along the LAC in Eastern Ladakh while fully abiding by bilateral agreements and protocols,” the MEA said in its statement.
In 2020, on the intervening night of June 15-16, the Indian Army lost 20 soldiers in the Galwan Valley while fighting the Chinese along the Line of Actual Control.
For months, China did not officially comment on casualties on its side, however, several media reports stated that the People’s Liberation Army lost around 35-40 soldiers in the Galwan conflict.