Mumbai: The Allahabad High Court has directed the UP government to impose lockdown in five cities – Lucknow, Prayagraj, Varanasi, Kanpur, Gorakhpur – from tonight till April 26.
However, those that offer essential services will be exempted from the order, the court said.
While asking the UP government to strictly implement the restrictions, the HC also issued guidelines regarding the lockdown.
The highest single-day increase in cases of coronavirus was reported as a record of COVID deaths on April 18, along with Uttar Pradesh. The state’s total number increased to 8,51,620, with 30,596 new infections recorded on Sunday. The deadly infectious virus reached 9,830 with 129 people who lost their lives.
All establishments, which may be governmental or private, will remain closed until April 26, 2021, except for essential services, including financial institutions and financial departments, medical and health services, industrial and scientific establishments, municipal works, and public transport. The judiciary, however, will act at its discretion.
- All shopping complexes and malls will remain closed until April 26, 2021.
- All grocery stores and other commercial shops will remain closed until April 26, except for medical shops with more than three workers.
- Small dining points will be closed from April 26 to April 26 in all hotels, restaurants and even tolls etc.
- All institutions such as educational institutions and other institutions and activities related to other disciplines, be it government, semi-government or private, will remain closed to its teachers and instructors and other staff till April 26, 2021 (this direction is for the whole of Uttar Pradesh).
- No social ceremonies and ceremonies, including wedding ceremonies, will be permitted until April 26, 2021. However, in case of marriages already decided, another necessary permission will have to be obtained from the District Magistrate of the concerned district.
- Gatherings would be limited to 25 persons and the district magistrate concerned shall take a decision after giving due consideration to the prevailing situation of the impact of Covid 19 including notification of containment zones in the area where such marriage has to take place.
- All religious activities in public of any kind are directed to remain suspended till April 26, 2021.
- All religious establishments of any kind are directed to remain closed till April 26, 2021.
- All hawkers including fruits and vegetable vendors, milk vendors and bread vendors, shall go off the road by 11 AM every day till April 26, 2021.
- Containment zones shall be notified every day in two leading Hindi and English newspapers having wide circulation in the districts of Prayagraj, Lucknow, Varanasi, Kanpur Nagar/ Dehat and Gorakhpur.
- All public movements on roads would remain restricted completely, subject to the above directions. Movements would be only allowed in case of medical help and emergencies.
- In addition to the above directions, we direct the State Government to go robust for implementing the current vaccination programme.