Mumbai: The Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) has released the first list of 64 candidates for the 2022 Punjab Assembly elections. As per the list, SAD chief Sukhbir Singh Badal will contest the polls from Jalalabad constituency.
Former ministers Tota Singh, Janmeja Singh Sekhon, Daljit Singh Cheema and Sharanjit Singh Dhillon will contest from constituencies of Dharamkot, Zira, Rupnagar, and Sahnewal, respectively.
Meanwhile, Youth Akal Dal President Parambans Singh Banti Romana has been fielded from Faridkot.
Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) announces a list of 64 candidates for the upcoming polls to the State Legislative Assembly of Punjab. pic.twitter.com/WcuthxDpGN
— ANI (@ANI) September 13, 2021
After exiting the Bharatiya Janata Party-led National Democratic Alliance over the issue of agricultural laws, the Akali Dal has forged an alliance with the Mayawati-led Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) for the 2022 elections.
Of the 117 assembly seats in Punjab, the BSP will contest 20 seats, while the SAD will contest 97 seats.
Some of the other candidates that have been announced include:
- Jagmeet Singh Brar from Maur
- Jeet Mohinder Singh Sidhu from Talwandi Sabo
- Suba Singh from Jaitu
- Mantar Singh Brar from Kotkapura
- Kanwarjit Singh Rozy Barkandi from Muktsar
- Parambans Singh Romana from Faridkot
- Suba Singh Badal from Jaitu
- Hans Raj Josan from Fazilka
- Charanjit Singh Brar from Rajpura
- Anil Joshi from Amritsar North
- Dalbir Singh Verka from Amritsar West
- Raj Kumar Gupta from Sujanpur
- Chandan Grewal from Jalandhar Central
- Sarabjit Singh Saabi from Mukerian