Mumbai: The death toll in Uttarakhand’s glacier eruption has risen to 28, said Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat on Tuesday.
“About 35 people are stuck inside the tunnel, we are trying to drill and make way via rope to reach them. We have recovered two more corpses, the total death count has reached 28 so far,” Rawat said
The Chief Minister said that the rescue team has managed to reach the Malari Valley area in Dhauli Ganga Valley through the rope to give ration package.
“Rescue team has managed to reach the Malari Valley area through rope and now necessary packages, ration can be sent easily. Earlier, only a limited stock could be supplied via helicopter but there will not be any problem now,” he said.
Rescue team has managed to reach Malari Valley area through rope & now necessary packages, ration can be sent easily. Earlier, only a limited stock could be supplied via helicopter but there won't be any problem now: Uttarakhand CM Trivendra Singh Rawat
— ANI (@ANI) February 9, 2021
Rescue operations started this morning with NDRF personnel from Dehradun to Joshimath with MY-17 Airborne. The Indian Air Force (IAF) said that an ALH carrying the DRDO Director-General Rehabilitation (DGR) is rebuilding the Tapovan area.
Earlier today, a joint team of ITBP, Army, NDRF and SDRF entered the Tapovan Tunnel, from where the water level inside the tunnel was checked after debris cleared.
According to the State Emergency Operations Center, Dehradun, 16 firemen have been deployed along with 26 police personnel. Meanwhile, Union Home Minister Amit Shah will brief the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday about the ongoing rescue operation in view of the glacier bursting in Uttarakhand.
(With ANI Inputs)